Members of the community gather for the common and joyful enterprise of making music, to sing through (for their own pleasure) the great works in choral literature, with chorus, orchestra, and soloists as the works require. A semi-professional orchestra is assembled and professional soloists arranged for, as each work requires. The sessions are always conducted by professional conductors.
The meetings are informal readings in which any musically interested person may join the chorus. There are no auditions and no separate rehearsals, except for a one-hour chorus rehearsal for the annual Gilbert and Sullivan session. Conductors usually do some preparation with the chorus before the sing-through. This varies from minimal snippets for well-known pieces to a complete review for unfamiliar works. Scores are provided.
Sessions begin at 4:00pm (3:00pm for Gilbert & Sullivan) and finish by 6:30pm, with a refreshments break in the middle serving tea, coffee, and snacks. We meet at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Princeton, 50 Cherry Hill Rd., Princeton, NJ.
PSMA Covid Attendance Policy
- You must be fully vaccinated. We will not require proof, but expect you to honor this commitment in respect of others.
- All singers and players must wear a mask. For singers, we strongly recommend singer’s masks with triple-layered fabric.
- You should not attend if you have tested positive for COVID or are experiencing COVID symptoms.
- Chairs will be spaced at 2.5 foot intervals.
- Weather permitting, we will open the side doors and place fans to circulate the air
- There will be no break and no refreshments
- We ask that you socialize outside before and after the session
- PSMA will not provide contact tracing.
- You must sign a waiver holding PSMA and UUCP harmless from liability for any Covid-19 related consequences resulting from attending these sessions.
|October 17, 2021 – CANCELLED – Faure, Requiem & Cantique de Jean Racine|
Conductor: Alicia Brozovich
|February 13, 2022 – CANCELLED – Duruflé, Requiem & Haydn, Te Deum|
Conductor: Greg Geehern
|November 14, 2021 – Mendelssohn, Elijah|
Conductor: Chris Loeffler
|March 13, 2022 – Rutter, Requiem & Vivaldi, Gloria|
Conductor: Tom Shelton
|December 19, 2021 – Handel, Messiah|
Conductor: Alicia Brozovich
|April 3, 2022 – Brahms, Requiem|
Conductor: Heather Mitchell
|January 23, 2021 – CANCELLED – Gilbert & Sullivan, The Sorcerer|
Conductor: Lee Milhous
Please check back to this webpage and our Facebook page for updates.
Our dates are chosen to avoid conflicts with other musical organizations in the Princeton area to the extent possible, and we regret those conflicts that do happen. For a list of other local organizations that welcome participation from amateur musicians, see our list of area musical groups.